Saturday, June 7, 2008

Are You Thirsty?

It occurred to me as I looked over at my half-finished cup of coffee, my almost empty bottle of diet Coke, and a nearly full bottle of water, that I'm not often really thirsty. I sip on something most of the day, and while I have a nagging desire for something in my mouth, I don't really feel "thirsty."

And I've also noticed that when I drink mostly water, I want more water, and when I drink other things like soda, coffee, or tea, water doesn't really appeal to me that much. I think there's a spiritual application in here somewhere...

Jesus is the Living Water, and when I return time and time again to quench my thirst in Him, I long for more and more of the Water only He can give. But when I drink from the cups the world offers, my thirst -- my real thirst -- is masked. I have a gnawing feeling of not being satisfied, but it's not hollering for attention. And so, I go on checking email and listening to the radio and working and shopping and visiting... but what I need to be doing is drinking the Living Water.

My problem is that I'm just not soul-thirsty enough. How about you? Are you thirsty for the Living Water, or are you content to be pseudo-satisfied with the luke-warm, mind-numbing grog of the world?

No comments: